Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bradley Class

We are one class away from finishing the Bradley Class! Yay! I have to say it will be nice to just get a chance to relax on Sunday afternoons and not rush off to the Bradley Class. It has definitely taught us a lot of useful information but I like my weekends =).

This last class we went through a labor scenario. Let me just tell you that I have such an awesome coach and loving husband. He is really going to do a great job coaching me. The way the scenario works is that there is a video with a clock and the video will say, "the contraction starts now" and we have to get into position (we practiced 5 different positions on Sunday) and your partner places an icepack on your back to simulate a contraction (nothing close but you get the idea).

So Joe had his stop watch ready which would count the 60 seconds and he would talk me through different scenarios or scenes in his head to get me thinking about something else. He would tell me when the contraction was about half way over and then 10 seconds left and then once it was over he would say, "good job" and give me some water and have me walk around. So this went on for about 15 times. I was laughing a little bit (and we weren't supposed to) but it was because of the elaborate stories Joe had concocted in his head. He would give me the stories in parts. So part 1 would be during one contraction and I wouldn't get the next part until the next contraction. But they would be about Abigail and in one of them he had us at the park and there were sunflowers around and she was in a dress and he would describe the dress and then it would stop and when I had another contraction it would be about what we were going to eat, and then it would be about what we would do. Anyways... that day I realized that we are going to be ready and that he is going to make it all the way through!

2 comments:

megan said...

Natural child birth...such fun!! When you're in the hospital, don't be afraid to tell the nurse/doctor what you want. Being up and around is the best thing you can do. I learned that with Maebry, because I ended up trapped in bed for hours when I got a nurse who wasn't really into going natural. She wanted me on the monitor the WHOLE TIME. I'm still convinced that's why that labor was so long!!

Garner Gang said...

Thanks for the advice Megan! We are definitely going to try to stay out of the bed as much as we can =)